8 Must Watch Horror Movies
This is for all you people who managed to not score an invite to any of this year’s Halloween parties, or to you, the ones that occupy profound dislike towards such festivities, finding them loud and excessively horrifying. Or perhaps you, the babysitter that is in desperate need of a source of amusement, and what better way is there to celebrate Halloween than by watching a good horror movie. This is to everyone that is seeking the sensational thrill that can only be granted by indulging in the mayhem and madness of fantasy. Below you will find our handpicked list for 8 must-watch horror movies.
1. The Shining: A classic in its own right. One of Stephen King’s ornate masterpieces, the shining stars Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, and Danny Lloyd. It is about a writer (Jack Nicholson) that suffers from writer’s block, and in an attempt to cure himself of it he takes on the job of winter caretaker at an isolated hotel in Colorado. Moving with his wife (Shelley Duvall) and his son (Danny Lloyd). Events unravel, turning Jack into a homicidal maniac hell-bent on terrorizing his family.
2. IT: A remake of the series that carries the same name. This movie will without a doubt have you on the edge of your seat. Another one of Stephen King’s outstanding marvels, this movie is about seven young outcasts in Derry, Maine that is about to face their worst nightmare. Where an ancient, shape-shifting evil emerges from the sewer every 27 years to prey on this town’s children. Brace yourselves as you will be assisting these kids in their fight against the clown, Pennywise.
3. The Conjuring: Certainly mentioned on everyone’s list, the conjuring tells the tale of paranormal investigators Lorraine and Ed Warren who is called upon to investigate the home of Carolyn and Roger Perron. The Perron’s had recently moved into a secluded farmhouse, where a supernatural presence had made itself known. Definitely a must-watch if you haven’t seen it, as events escalate in this beautiful work of art in a horrifying fashion, especially after the Warrens discover the house’s macabre history.
4. Insidious: A series of American horror films created by Leigh Whannell. This movie speaks of a haunted house and malevolent entities. Another must-watch; a movie that guarantees you a genuine spine-chilling experience.
5. Pet Sematary: Also another one of Stephen King’s labor, one that is highly eloquent within the domain of horror. The story is of a mysterious pet cemetery that replenishes the dead with life, but it does not restore them to their former condition. An unfortunate revelation made by Doctor Louis Creed when a local advises him to bury his cat, which was accidentally killed, in this bizarre cemetery. Later on surging in eccentricities as misfortune strikes the good Doctor, killing his dear son.
6. Don’t Breathe A brilliant horror movie that is built upon innovation. It is about thieves that break into the houses of the rich. One of the thieves gets word that a blind veteran had recently won a major cash settlement following the death of his only child. Thinking he’d be an easy target, the three thieves quickly rush to rob what has been misperceived as a helpless old man, only to learn that his disability does not cripple him from the fending off the invaders.
7. Get Out: Being nominated for the best picture and winning the best original screenplay in the Academy Awards is no easy task. Especially if it’s a horror movie. However, Jordan Peele defied all odds, managing to seize A-list status through this fantastic artwork that has procured innumerable metaphors throughout. It is of a young interracial couple that has reached the meet-the-parents milestone. At first, the family seemed to be overly accommodating towards Chris (Daniel Kaluuya), but as the weekend progresses, Chris makes a series of disturbing discoveries that are all but sincere.
8. A Quiet Place: Having been described as ‘aggressively scary’, you are promised to not be disappointed. A truly entertaining horror movie examines new methods and ideas. Although likened to Don’t breathe, it is a beautiful variation with many dissimilarities. I will leave you with this short instructive brief…if they hear you, they hunt you.
“Hell is empty and all the devils are here”-William Shakespeare